‘Empowered Today, Equal Tomorrow’ was recently initiated by Sunway Student Volunteers to celebrate the amazing social, cultural, economic and political achievements of women, while also campaigning for greater progress towards gender equality and empowerment of all women and girls.
Women and girls represent half of the world’s population and therefore also half of its potential. However, gender inequality persists everywhere and stagnates social progress. To achieve global gender equality can feel overwhelming, but to start locally is the main goal of this project. By better understanding the role we play in our own community, the women and men around Sunway Campus can foster a community that celebrates, empowers, and inspires women as well as advocate for important causes such as standing up against everyday injustices and challenging unfair gender-based issues. This project urges our community to stand in solidarity to end discrimination and gender-based violence and to call for urgent action to achieve lasting change.
Online Contest: Recognition Platform
In conjunction with this event, we have a social media contest where participants can create post to appreciate a woman who has made a difference in their or other people’s lives. The winners with most creative posts will receive amazing prizes! So, don’t miss your chance to participate in this contest!
How to participate?
1. Post a picture with a description that expresses your thoughts and feelings towards any empowered women/ women you know on Instagram & Facebook.
• Open to all Sunway staff and students (both male & female)
• Maximum of 1 entry per person
• Entries that do not respect the spirit of the competition will be rejected.
• Judges’ decision on the winners is final.
• Submission date: 1st – 22nd of May